Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with Monotone Manual PDF

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with Monotone Manual PDF
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:21:37 +0800

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:58:01PM +0200, Christian Lindig wrote:

> I have serious trouble printing the Montone Manual PDF as it is
> provided here:
>
>       http://www.venge.net/monotone/monotone.pdf
>
> Printing from Preview.app on Mac OS X 10.3 sends some data to the
> PostScript printer but does not result in any printed page. The
> document views fine, though. I have run it through Acrobat Professional
> for validation, which did not turn up anything. Saving from Preview.app
> to PDF again results in a PDF where certain characters even on screen
> are missing; this does not print as well.
>
> Since I have absolutely no troubles with PDFs otherwise I suspect
> something is wrong here. Does anybody else have problems?

I can replicate this here (OS X 10.3.8), however I'm unsure
whether it is the pdf's or Preview.app's fault. Acrobat
Reader (7.0.0) seems to handle it fine, while OS X has
severe problems with it:

Apr 15 21:06:15 localhost mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0:
"/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer":
 exited as a result of signal 4 [pid 184]

(that resulted in about 4 seemingly unrelated apps like X11.app crashing).

pdf2ps (ghostscript version 8.14) seems to handle the file
fine. Interestingly, the output from printing to a file in
acrobat reader is only 880kB (vs 1.9MB for the original),
though it does lose the bookmarks.

I think Nathaniel may have used a different process to make
the pdf for the current release? Regardless, I'll be
reporting a bug to apple.

Matt