[Monotone-devel] Re: Switching to monotone from CVS

From: Mark Hagger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Switching to monotone from CVS
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:51:15 +0100

> I've been looking quite hard at various SCM's with a view to switching
> from CVS.  CVS is slowly, but surely, becoming less and less fitting
for our needs.

>You didn't write what these needs are exactly. I've found >subversion
>to be a nice and stable replacements for CVS, fixing most of >its
problems while keeping the centralised model. Commandline >and GUI
clients for Windows exist.

One concept I'm quite keen on is a sane "changeset" model, but I'm also
quite keen on distributed updates, we're certainly moving our software
development in a direction that will be greatly aided by such a model.
The other ability we really need to have is to be able to perform
sensible "post-commit" reviews of changes, the approve/disapprove model
in monotone looks rather good for this, especially in conjunction with
the testing state model.

I have considered subversion, and it looked quite good, but somehow it
doesn't quite fill me with a "warm fuzzy feeling", in truth it didn't
really seem enough of a improvement in features to be worth the pain of
an SCM change. Plus our experience of running the CVS->Subversion
migration tools seemed to suggest it would take many days of processing
to convert our current state, whereas monotone took a mere couple of
hours.

Mark

--
Mark Hagger
address@hidden

This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan
service.