[Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Vladimir Vukicevic
Subject: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 00:54:36 -0700

There were a number of options I wanted the diff output to support
(-p, variable number of context lines, etc.), and adding all those to
the internal diff was probably a losing proposition.

This patch adds an "xdiff" command, which calls an external_diff_hook,
giving it the path, old data, new data, and a flag whether the data is
binary or not (so that someone could, in theory, write a custom diff
tool for binary data.. e.g. an image diff or something similar).  The
patch also adds printing the file IDs in the built-in diff output, for
picky tools that expect there to be something after the filename in a
diff header (bugzilla, for example).

I'd like to be able to handle outputting of the correct deleted-file
output, but I'm not sure if there's a standard for this -- gnu diff
seems to spit out the "new" file with a timestamp equal to the unix
epoch, which I guess gnu patch knows to treat as special.  Not too
wrorried about that now, as the delete_file data is still in the
header.

Patch attached (generated via xdiff ;).

    - Vlad