Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:59:49 +0100

[12-06-2005 19:48, Vladimir Vukicevic escreveu]
On 6/12/05, Nuno Lucas <address@hidden> wrote:
Why not just "monotone diff --external="diff -urN" ?

The problem is that the filenames will be something like "/tmp/zq78by
/tmp/AT23pS", which is not at all useful when generating a diff/patch.
 So, you have to be able to specify a label for the file -- "diff -u
--label $realname1 $tmpfile1 --label $realname2 $tmpfile2".  You can
certainly do something like --external="diff -urN --label $1 $2
--label $3 $4", but are you really going to type that out each time?

Ok, I can understand that, but perhaps using a "/tmp/za78by/" dir and
the real file name inside that could make it work for any program?

It could even create the whole directory structure, but that is maybe a
little too much (too much work to delete the whole thing on exit -
- depending on the OS).

As far as having to never learn Lua to use monotone, I'm not sure if
that's a design goal or not (especially considering that lua takes all
of 15-20 minutes to "learn").  You can certainly use monotone without
writing a line of lua, but if you want to tweak all sorts of features,
that's what it's there for.  It's no different than having to use a
custom config file format.

I agree with you that I'm being lazy, but the problem is that there are
so many things I would like to learn in 15-20 minutes that I know my
life isn't enough to do all that ;)

The other thing is my memory (or lack of it). The problem with every
program having a different configuration file is that I can learn how to
configure it for each little thing I want right, but I know 3/6 months
latter I will have to re-learn it all over again, as I already forgot
how I have done it the first time ;)

So, I'm an apologist of all things that can make my life better, but off
course I understand some tings can never be done easier.

Best regards (and please excuse my critique of your hard work)
~Nuno Lucas