Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:28:44 +0100

[12-06-2005 11:06, Nathaniel Smith escreveu]
On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 02:23:16AM -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

Here's merging diff/cdiff/xdiff -> "diff
--unified/--context/--external"; I couldn't really think of any other
names for arguments that made sense.. "--format context" maybe, but
--format is rather generic of an option name.  "diff --diff-format
context" would work, but is pretty verbose.  Let me know if there are
some better flag ideas...

Looks good.  Missing doc/testsuite updates?

Separate thought: probably external diff should have some option to
pass arguments on to the external diff command?  So you could use like
--external --diff-args="-p" or whatever.  (Implementation-wise, I
guess they'd just get passed straight on to the hook as another
argument... that could be 'nil' if the user didn't specify anything.)

Why not just "monotone diff --external="diff -urN" ?

If someone wants to use an external diff program why should it be
restricted to the "diff" program and not
"my-diff-program-is-better.exe"?

I think I understood that the name of the program can be set in the
Lua hooks, but I sincerely would prefer to never learn Lua to use
monotone.

For example, on windows there is WinMerge, which I find very good not only for merging (not 3-way merges) but for viewing differences between
files.

That option could also be used to invoke some special hex editor differ
for binary files, or anything else.

I think any decent diff program out there accepts 2 file paths as input
after the options...

Just my 2 cents,
~Nuno Lucas