Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Vladimir Vukicevic
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:07:51 -0700

On 6/7/05, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:27:24PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> > I think I'd personally prefer both cdiff and
> > xdiff as options to the standard diff command though. i.e.
> >
> > monotone diff --context
> > monotone diff --external
>
> Haven't had a chance to read the patch itself, but I agree that this
> format would be much nicer.  (Unless we anticipate one of those
> options have some meaning for some other command?  I guess --context
> might want to mean something like grep's "how many lines of context"
> switch in some, err, context or another.  I guess --external might
> want to mean something else somewhere else too?  Dunno, neither of
> these are too compelling.)

I can implement --context and --external and get rid of cdiff; however
in that case I think there needs to be a way to specify which to use
by default.  What would be the preferred way of doing this?  Could be
some lua hook that returns "context", "external", "unified" based on
filename maybe, or an option setting... Derek mentioned on irc the
possibility of implementing something similar to CVS's ~/.cvsrc as a
way to specify default arguments to commands, but I'm not sure if such
a generic mechanism would be useful elsewhere.

   - Vlad