Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Line ending conversion

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Line ending conversion
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:59:40 +0200

graydon hoare wrote:

I am looking for an alternative to subversion's "svn:eol-style=native" - a property used to mark files that should have the platform-native eol. I've found the hook |get_linesep_conv| but that would require each and every user separately determine and set the files. Is there anything that can be added to the database to make the information about the prefered eol-style for a file distribute in the same matter as the file itself? Maybe some cert? Or something in .mt-attrs?
probably selecting behavior off of the "encoding" attribute (or a separate EOL
one, since this is a related-but-different aspect of the encoding), subject to
user override, will be ok. we need to try a few variations on the idea and
revisit this. if you'd like to enter a bug,
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=13390

I would like to make the results both technically satisfactory and also "pleasant to
use".
Me too. I like the idea of "normalized storage form" that has only one type of EOL but that means that when adding the file we should somehow "guess" what normalization to perform. I think it might be related to the mime-type-discussion that was part of the "merge of binary files"-thread...? I am not certain what the conclusion was but we could have a hook to decide what to do with text/plain files that would default to the proper conversion depending on the platform where monotone is built/run.

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic