Re: [Monotone-devel] Why not sync to another local db??

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Why not sync to another local db??
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:57:52 -0700

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:32:01PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> This is not possible, for what I understood. 2 possible (maybe) solutions
> could
> be commit to the first db and then to the second one with a different --db
> option, or launch a server process only to access the 2nd local db, but I
> think
> these are inconvenient methods...
> I think that is an innatural limitation: databases are identical in format,
> independently from the method used to access them, so this should be
> generalized, both "local" and "remote" db should be able to be on the local
> fs,
> on a network or anything else...
> What do you think about that? Shouldn't "distributed" be a more general
> concept?

Oh, definitely; it's just a bit of a technical hassle to teach netsync
to work locally.  There'll be support for this as soon as someone
comes up with a way to make it work portably.

Until then, running a local server is probably your best bet; you can
probably write some shell script even to make it reasonably simple.
(Write out a temporary hook file that allows all access; start a
server with this hook file on some random local port, using the
--pid-file option; run the client; use the pid file to kill the
server.)

(Hmm, apparently --pid-file isn't in 0.19; guess I should get 0.20
out soon :-).)

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho