Re: [Monotone-devel] Strange behaviour when syncing

From: Robert Leftwich
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Strange behaviour when syncing
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:47:01 +1000

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

My guess is that your code diverged at some point and you created two
different heads.  Try 'monotone heads' and see if there is more than
one; if so, just run 'monotone merge' to merge them.

That was it, thanks.

I was sure I had run 'monotone head' when it first happened, but maybe that was just my bad memory.

I can't help thinking that at least one of the other commands should have informed me that there were multiple heads waiting to be merged. If the information is available when syncing then a notification on completion that multiple heads were present would have saved a lot of time and aggravation on my part.

Could it say something as simple as [revs in: 1]  [revs out: 0]  [heads: ##] ?

Or at a different level, when the update command is issued, a message saying everything is up to date when it isn't (in the broader sense) is not that helpful. Is it possible to add a note about heads in update or even the so called 'informative' commands such as status?

A simple:

monotone: already up to date at 56ece60be1a574b54f7e130cd0caf60ed0811ef5
          BUT - unmerged heads exists

would be sufficient.

Robert