[Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...)

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...)
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:33:09 -0400

Bram Cohen wrote:

Specifically, in this case:

|\
b \
|  \
a   c

The result should be c, since the b is toasted by a revision to a.

As I said, I'm not an experienced merger, but based on my own experience and biases, I don't think that should be a clean merge. Or, more precisely, I would like to have some kind of option as to whether the system would treat that as a clean merge or not.

I would rather have slightly "too many" conflicts than slightly "too few". I tend to be pretty conservative when it comes to tools changing code without my approval.

I call this behavior 'implicit undo'. It's very important behavior, since
end users generally revert changes by manually setting back to old
versions rather than explaining to the version control system what they're
doing.

Perhaps, but I think I would rather it remain explicit, at least for my own work. Thus, I question whether "implicit undo" should be the default behavior, and even more so whether it should be the only behavior.

As I looked through each of your later examples, I didn't see one case where implicit undo would clearly benefit me, and several cases where it could hurt.

Perhaps in a perfect world, where all the tools were integrated, the graphical merge utility could indicate "implicit undo" conflicts differently than other conflicts, offering an easy way for the user to take the "recommended" resolution.

Maybe I'm way off base due to inexperience.

Kevin