Re: ambiguous clean (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more mergi

From: Tim Woodall
Subject: Re: ambiguous clean (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...))
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:55:46 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Bram Cohen wrote:

 / \
|   |
b   a

b wins (implicit undo)

 / \
|   |
b   c

c wins (convergence)

I'm not convinced here. I agree with the c wins (convergence) but the
other case looks bizarre. Consider:

      /|\
     b b b    <- patch to mailing list (three developers pick it up)
     | | |
     a | a'   <- dev1 & 3 realize it is a bad patch and back it out
     | | |       dev1 backs out with patch -R dev 3 backs out manually[1]
     |/|\|
     b | a'   <- dev1 & 3 now merge with 2 who's been on holiday

And what happens when we merge the heads?

And would we expect a different result if everybody had merged after
applying the patch - i.e. the graph looks:

       /|\
      b b b
       \|/
        b     <- everybody merges here to get a single head
       /|\
      a | a'
      |/|\|
      a | a'

[1] I think this is most likely to occur if dev3 first attempted to
"fix" the patch before backing it out.

Tim.

and there was light.

     http://tjw.hn.org/      http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/