Re: [Monotone-devel] quick poll

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] quick poll
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:14:22 +0200

On 8/12/05, Matthew A. Nicholson <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > IMHO this should be a lua hook. Put a regexp template on the message using
> > the hook.
> >
> > If you want to force a message, you probably want to force the format too
> >
> > Joel
>
> I would be ok with a hook, but not an option.  A hook to validate a
> comment is actually not a bad idea.  The default hook could reject empty
> comments.  Personally I see no reason for empty comments, but a hook for
> validating comments does look like a good idea and could be used for the
> empty comment thing too.

It (the hook) indeed is a very good idea.  I know many projects could use it
to ensure that commit messages follow predefined guidelines (e.g., bug
numers are given in a specific format, code reviewers are mentioned and
their names are correct, etc.).

Having it default to not allowing empty logs seems good enough.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/