Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:50:57 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:

You might want something that reflected history or structure.  For
example, if you had a branch foo, you might want the first revision to
be called foo.0, then foo.1, etc., with some way to handle forks and
things.  Of course that kind of naming might change as you sync with
other repositories, and it's certainly a local rather than global
naming, but it might still be useful.
It's been a while since I was thinking about this but the solution that I would be probably happy with would be a generation number (within a branch). That would be a global identifier that would sometimes select a group of things but that could be handled by appending part of the hash.

I'd like to point out that I still think that the full hashes should be the "main" identifiers. The generation numbers would just be an UI thing. The revision could then be identified by i.e. 'branch-53-ab' which would be a 53rd generation in 'branch', hash starting with 'ab'.

Since the branch factor tends to be relatively small it could be 'global enough' for common day-to-day use.

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic