[Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:11:58 +0100

Thomas Haas <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> ... the hook shall be available for all identifiers, not only revisions

Why?  How often do you use manifest ids, or file ids?  (Maybe it would
be useful if "monotone cat manifest" (or whatever it's called now)
could take a revision selector as an argument, given that a revision
specifies a manifest?)

> -- and, preferably, the abbreviated id should be stored in the database.

Isn't that an implementation detail?  If you wanted the ids to be
stable then storing them in the database would be one way of doing
it; and it might be more efficient to do that.  However, I wouldn't
rule out the possibility that a dynamic approach would have acceptable
performance.