Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:07:01 -0700

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:04:30AM -0700, Steven Grimm wrote:
> Is there any significant performance penalty to having zillions of tags
> in the system? I think most people's objections to the hashcodes would

Not in particular; they take up space in the repo and bandwidth in
netsync, is all.  (Certs take up a bit more space then you would
expect, because RSA signatures are a little hefty.  Squinting at 'db
info' output on the monotone repo, it looks like the average cert size
is ~350 bytes.)

> be be satisfied with a hook script that auto-tags revisions with a much
> shorter, likely-but-not-guaranteed unique, value at commit time
> (username + timestamp, DB name + autoincremented serial number, etc.) I

Timestamps seem about as opaque for normal use as hashes (they're
also just a long string of numbers), and you have to type more of them
to get uniqueness.

Where do DB names come from?

> know if I had that, I'd probably never refer to a hex revision ID. What
> happens when there's a name collision between tags during a synchronize,
> anyway?

Both tags win -- the t: selector can be ambiguous, just like, say, the
b: selector.  If you try to refer to t:foo where there are multiple
revisions tagged "foo", monotone will list them and tell you to figure
out which one you wanted.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."