Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 0ba2c2c0f5dae

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 0ba2c2c0f5daef25ca705f4280ecf3ea1ebe39bd
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:22:42 -0700

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 06:58:32AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Hmm, does anyone mind if I add yet another argument to
> hook_note_commit and hook_note_netsync_revision_received, containing
> the parents of the committed/received revision?  The reason would be
> to make it really easy to generate diffs...

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to generate diffs from within the
commit/netsync hooks... the simultaneous db access is likely to make
the server grumpy and refuse to run.

It's also not clear you want to do any CIA/commit mail/etc. directly
from such a hook, because such hooks block the entire server while
running.  (What if your mail server is down/loaded and sending the
mail blocks for a while, etc....)

Maybe it would be better to have a hook that writes out what's
happened to a maildir-like directory, and then have a consumer script
that uses this directory to find out what's new and dispatch
CIA/commit mail/etc.?

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra