Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24

From: Howard Spindel
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:23:32 -0800

At 05:03 PM 12/4/2005, Bruce Stephens wrote:
Howard Spindel <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> If I place a key id in the MT/options file in a working directory and
> have no key in my Application Data/monotone/keys directory, will that
> solve my desire for multiple keys with the same ID when migrating to
> monotone 0.24?

Oh, sorry, no.  It helps if you have multiple keys (with different
IDs).  (Which is what John Terrell said he had: he found it irritating
to have to keep typing --key=.)

IDs are how monotone identifies keys (the key ID is what's in the
various certs, for example).  Allowing multiple keys for the same key
id would involve more design, I suspect.  Maybe key epochs or
something?

It seems a bit overcomplex, though; what's the rationale for wanting
to call different keys by the same name anyway?  Is it just the
limited namespace for keys (a restricted form of email address), or is
it just the upgrade issue?

At the moment, it's purely an upgrade issue. Keys used to travel with the database, now they are global. I didn't know enough to create one key and use it multiple times when I started with monotone (I followed the tutorial, and it seemed like creating one key per database was the way to go...)

Thanks,
Howard