[Monotone-devel] Re: emacs "DVC" project

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: emacs "DVC" project
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:15:37 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> The old emacs "VC" generic VCS support stuff is... not very well
> suited to modern tools, as anyone who has spent much time playing with
> it knows -- it's all file based, etc., so even though it's supposed to
> be "generic", it doesn't make sense to try and plug in a monotone
> backend.  Hence things like monotone.el.
>
> Just an FYI in case anyone is interested, some (former?) arch-heads
> seem to be working on a replacement; a new generic VCS mode that's
> better suited to modern tools, called "DVC":
>   http://wiki.gnuarch.org/xtla#DVC
>
> Might be worth taking a look at and adding monotone support to, if
> anyone wants to.

I am one of the developers of the new dvc mode.

We will soon merge Xtla to the upcoming emacs release.
After the release we will upgrade it to the new dvc mode. So the dvc
mode will be available for every emacs installation in the future.

Currently we are starting to implement support for bzr and mercurial.

We certainly give a helping hand, if someone wants to add monotone
support now.

Stefan.