[Monotone-devel] Monotone usage questions

From: monotone . vsp
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Monotone usage questions
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:20:00 -0500

Hello everyone,

I first sent this message to the list a few days ago, but I wasn't subscribed to this list, so my post is pending with a moderator for approval. Since it hasn't shown up on the list yet, I decided to re-post after subscribing. (If a moderator reads this post, please delete my pending post which is identical to the message that follows). I apologize for the duplication.

I have been reading the Monotone mailing lists with some interest and have a few usage questions for the list.

Q1. Is there a way to use Monotone to track a Perforce branch (on Windows)?

I know there is a cvssync branch that does something very close to what I need - except it tracks CVS instead of Perforce. I looked at tailor.py on another site and it doesn't seem to use Perforce as a to/from SCM either.

Q2. Regardless of what it is tracking (CVS or Perforce) is it possible to use Monotone to support the following workflow? (I guess this question mainly goes to the various merging implications that arise from the way to use it that I am interested in)

We use Perforce at work and once in a while we come to a situation where we would want to minimize churn in our Perforce branch even while there is actually work being done on it (for example when we do a staggered delivery to our Verification team). It isn't a trivial task to interact with the Perforce administrator to get myself a private branch on the Perforce depot and would be impossible if everyone were interested in such a thing.

What I had in mind was - Set up a Monotone repository on my desktop, set up a branch that tracks the Perforce branch, create another branch for my own work, continuously integrate from the Perforce branch (as it changes) into my private branch, submit small changelists to my private branch as needed.

Then - here is the key - when the main Perforce branch (on the Perforce depot) is open/ready for submissions, integrate my private Monotone branch into the Monotone branch I use to track Perforce and then submit all my changes into the Perforce depot one-by-one.

The extremely desirable end result I am looking for is that all my changelists show up in logical order on the Perforce depot and don't go in as one huge glob.

Thanks,
vsp