[Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import rewrite

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import rewrite
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:40:40 -0800

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

what's up with the cvs_import rewrite branches? Anybody still working on
such a thing?

I completed the branch and merged it back to mainline, quite a while ago.

cvs2svn uses a multiple passes of processing the cvs repository.

Yes. The .rewrites.cvs_import branch copied their algorithm reasonably closely. It's a good algorithm, that's why I copied it.

There is one thing you might notice missing. Others have characterized this as "not processing branches". That's not true: it processes branches, it just doesn't arrange them in a *hierarchy*. All branches are considered flat, starting from the root revision, with no historical relationship between them.

There is a reason for this. It is essentially a pessimistic decision based on the fact that there is not necessarily any single "parent branchpoint" for any branch in CVS. Each file can enter a branch "foo" from some different branch "bar", at any point in time. There need be no common branching structure between files. So synthesizing one is guesswork at best.

Currently we make no guess. It would be an improvement to make a guess. If you want to help write the code to make such guesses, I'd be happy to show you around the cvs_import code and answer any questions you have. Otherwise I will eventually get around to it, as I know it's an important feature.

-graydon