[Monotone-devel] nvm.sqlite3.binary branch: first working revision

From: Christof Petig
Subject: [Monotone-devel] nvm.sqlite3.binary branch: first working revision
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:49:16 +0100

Christof Petig schrieb:
> Whithin one work hour I was able to show that binary
> content is possible and simply unbase64'ing file(_delta)s show a 15%
> size reduction on the database.
>
> Database migration and db check work, but do not yet try to commit to a
> database using this branch.

Revision 8fd1669eb890ada86f15b6bbe1c40b147b5f6e4b marks an important
step: all tests pass as expected.

The most unpleasant part of the port was the experience that on sqlite3
a blob never equals a text even when both are binary identical (and
ascii encoded), so retrieving binary data was impossible using a text
key (the hex encoded sha1 sum).

So far 15% database size reduction by storing manifests and files binary.

There is no way to get back to an older scheme, so beware (you are free
to sync the contents to a different database of course). Dump / load
does not change the database scheme back!

   Christof

PS: I will likely experiment to store the certs in binary form since
this is the table with most lines.
PPS: db info does not work with binary databases (seems like it stops at
the first null byte).