[Monotone-devel] nvm.sqlite3.binary branch created

From: Christof Petig
Subject: [Monotone-devel] nvm.sqlite3.binary branch created
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:21:31 +0100

Hi,

while the other developers are busy exploring rosters I decided to reach
for some low hanging fruits: optimizing the database size

Since I have lot of databases a 20-30% reduction in size would make a
difference to me. Whithin one work hour I was able to show that binary
content is possible and simply unbase64'ing file(_delta)s show a 15%
size reduction on the database.

Database migration and db check work, but do not yet try to commit to a
database using this branch.

Yours
   Christof

PS: IMHO having 30% smaller databases everywhere gains me more than
bringing the cvssync branch into shape for mainline. :-P

PPS: I will not touch the IDs (hexencoded sha1) _first_ but having
database indices and access with _halved_ keylength should give a
performance gain. I will _measure_ and report after tackling the base64
encoded BLOBs.

P3S: schema_migration.cc looks awfully verbose.