[Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:44:39 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Everything that has been used as argument against that simple
> principle of what a text file is are really special cases for very
> special purposes, where some characters have been inserted for
> layout purposes.  I honestly am not really sure if those should be
> regarded as normal text files or as something as binary as a Word
> file.

I think I agree.  I suspect that's how you'd end up doing that with
other systems.

> But OK, say we do the very simply transformation, using only the
> second item returned by get_linesep_conv, we still have a much
> bigger thing to deal with: how to make monotone understand when NOT
> to do that.

I presume we want an attribute, but I agree it seems like a new one,
so there's problems of migration.  Seems a fairly easy one to guess
when adding a file: look at the file and see if it's got consistent
line endings or not.

I guess it would be nice to get this all sorted at the same time as
rosters, since that already involves changing databases.

[...]