Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:20:34 +0000

On 2/2/06, rghetta <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think monotone should *not* change the file unless instructed to do
> so, i.e. every file should be non-transformable by default.
> Transformable files instead could be converted between "equivalent"
> forms, e.g. with a different line endings, with a final line ending
> sequence attached, a different encoding, and so on.
> Even these transformations should be explicitly requested, imho.
>
> Perhaps we should consider a set of attributes (explicitly or through
> tables) describing how to treat a file when committing, merging,
> checking out.
> Some of these attributes could be overriden by the user, to allow for
> different line ending or merge tool preferences.

I believe this is the only way to a universal solution.
I can think of cases where one would want some files to stay with UNIX
line ends and others with DOS (Windows) line-ends. For example one
could have test files just for the application under version control
to test how it handles them (like a compiler or a some other kind of
text file parser).

If those test files had to have the same extension than regular text
files, then some hacks would need to be employed on the test scripts
to make monotone not transform them, or the tests would not be good on
all platforms.

Off course a solution would be to have those files with some binary
extension and make the test scripts copy/rename them before the real
test, but the user could be surprised to find out that was needed.

Just my .02€

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas