Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:52:11 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:55:47 +0100 (CET), Richard
Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> said:

richard> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:58:24 +0100,
rghetta <address@hidden> said:
richard>
richard> birrachiara> I think monotone should *not* change the file
richard> birrachiara> unless instructed to do so, i.e. every file
richard> birrachiara> should be non-transformable by default.
richard>
richard> Mmm, so that takes it the other way, you'll have to tell
richard> monotone that a file is transformable.  I can deal with that,
richard> but that's really the same issue as making sure you don't
richard> transform non-transformable files, technically speaking.
richard> Same operation, different parameters.

I just read the IRC log and noticed this was discussed quite a bit.  I
can see the point that we should go for as little mangling as
possible, which implies not transforming by default.

Nathaniel also mentioned having a .mt-autoprops file that defines what
defaults different types of files should have.  It's a good idea, but
we'd better watch how we do that.  If doing it by extensions, we might
find ourself on a load of trouble.  For example, what attributes
should be given on files with no extension?  Some of them are
transformable (README, INSTALL, scripts, that kind of thing) and
others aren't (executable programs, for example).  What attributes
should be given to files ending with .com?  On DOSy operating systems
(sorry, toys :-)), they're binary executables, while on VMS, that's
what scripts (they're called COMman procedures) are normally ending
with, and those are most definitely text.

The inspiration for .mt-autoprops comes from SVN, where such things
can be configured.  They do it by extension, but I'm not sure we
really should do it that way...  I've always been impressed by the
simple magic of the Unix command 'file', but doing something like that
is maybe a bit much to ask...  Ideas?

Cheers,
Richard

-----