[Monotone-devel] Re: guitone - a Qt-frontend for monotone

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: guitone - a Qt-frontend for monotone
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:35:46 +0000

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I'm waiting for the monotone team to expand the automation interface
> a bit more which then would allow me to to regular actions
> (add/drop/commit/update/rename/...) on the workspace.

I agree entirely.  Presumably an eclipse plugin, emacs modes, etc.,
could usefully use those, too.  (njs will probably say "patches
welcome" at some point.)

It doesn't look trivial, though.  Presumably "add", "drop", "rename"
are different to "update", commit", in that they manipulate the
workspace, and so (I guess) don't need to lock the database.

I imagine "update", "log", "graph", etc., only need to read the
database, whereas "commit", "merge", "propagate" need to modify it, so
I guess the locking requirements vary.  (I'm not sure whether the
database locking has been cleared up: it used to be that only one
process ought to try accessing the database at a time, and anything
else would break.)

So I'd guess it would make sense to reflect the categories in the
command syntax.  Maybe not, though?

It would be cool to have a log viewer something like gitk or gitview,
too, IMHO.  I like monotone-viz, and find it indispensible for looking
at where I last propagated, and stuff, but I think something like
gitview would be a win for logs.

[...]