Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone dumb progress

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone dumb progress
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:59:49 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

There are a lot of other improvements to be made to the setup,
though :-).  The disk format could use some cleanup (the
locking/rollback isn't quite right, and I _think_ it is a win to
choose the merkle trie branching factor a little more
carefully/adaptively), it needs to use 'automate stdio' (0.26 puts the
necessary packet commands in 'automate', so this will be a huge speed
win),
I think this is what the latest changes do...

monotone needs to learn how to have epoch packets (a tiny point,
but useful for correctness) and to reference certs by some
user-visible id (this will be an even huger speed win),
If I remember correctly, this is needs changes to core monotone. Once done, it should allow (see down)...

the SFTP and
HTTP support need to be faster (pipelining or something should be a
nice speed win, and ideally it should request multiple byte ranges all
at once for HTTP), it could do with FTP support at all, it would be
nice if it could run directly against a monotone db, just calculating
the necessary structures in memory rather than needing a local merkle
dir,
... to work directly against a monotone db relatively easily. This would increase the usability quite a lot. I was planning to do some of the things myself, but was caught up by other stuff...

the whole thing could use some tests...

I hope my list doesn't scare you off!  These are all pretty
incremental or straightforward, and I'm happy to explain anything
here better.  But maybe it helps give you some ideas for what might be
fun to work on next... ;-)

http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic