[Monotone-devel] Re: automate inventory

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: automate inventory
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:37:59 +0200

Timothy  Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 22:53 -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
>
> Well, IIRC we're trying to use basic_io as our general data format. This
> would be a lot more flexible than trying to keep the same
> one-line-per-item style inventory uses now.
>
> Maybe something like
>

>            path "foo/bar.mp3"
>         fs_type "file"
>        old_type "dir"
>        new_type "file"
>          old_id "123"
>          new_id "456"
>         patched "true"
>   attrs_changed "id3:title"
>   attrs_cleared "mtn:exec"
>     attrs_added "mtn:manual-merge" "id3:track"
>
>     path "core"
>  fs_type "file"
> old_type "absent"
> new_type "absent"
>

> *_type can be "file", "dir", or "absent", and *_id is only present if
> the matching *_type is not "absent".
>
> patched and attrs_* refer to the item with id new_id, and are only
> present if the file was patched, or the matching something happened to
> at least one attr. (and are only present if they actually mean
> something, so new_type can't be "absent". and for patched, neither can
> "fs_type".)

Something like this looks fine to me.
But my biggest problem with inventory is the speed.
Oh and the basic IO format is perfect for me.

>> Is anyone actually using inventory in
>> its current form?

Yes, I use it for my emacs monotone integration.
(somewhat similar to pcl-cvs).

It would also be nice if somehow I can get the inventory status
of a subset of files.  This would make certain operations for my
backend much more reliable (Now I sometimes just guess the status
of a file because running inventory is too slow.)

Wim Oudshoorn.