Re: [Monotone-devel] How to determine if a file is version controlled?

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] How to determine if a file is version controlled?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:46:54 +0200

Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:24:55PM +0200, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:

> look for it in "list known" or "auto get_manifest_of".

A - "list known" is very slow
B - "auto get_manifest_of" is very slow
C - both require some post processing to figure out if
    the file is in the list.

To clarify point C.

Suppose I have an absolute path

   /Users/woudshoo/.elisp/e-monotone/TODO

Now for the solutions above, just like the use of automate inventory.
I have to go to the directory

  /Users/woudshoo/.elisp/e-monotone/

now run one of the commands above, which will return one of the following

    TODO
or
    e-monotone/TODO
or
    .elisp/e-monotone/TODO

etc.

depending on where the MT directory is. Now I need
to figure out where the MT directory is to do a correct comparision
of the file names.

It is doable, but a hassle and slow.

> that 0.26 is out.  For tool-writers, you should be looking for
> something in the automate interface to accomplish your needs (and
> raising issues if that interface doesn't meet your needs).

Yes something in the automate interface would be nice.
But at the moment I can't find anything.
I would like that there is a command that
gives me the state of an individual file.
Including, known/unknown/ignored/...
And it should accept absolute path names.

>>    monotone: misuse: absolute path '/Users/woudshoo/.elisp/e-monotone/TODO'
>> is invalid
>>
>> Huh??? wat is wrong with my absolute path?
>
> Probably, it reaches back above the workspace.

Yes, and so what?  I point monotone to a file, so why does
it matter how I specify it?

Wim Oudshoorn.