Re: [Monotone-devel] Usher difficulties

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Usher difficulties
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:41:25 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:09:52 +0200 (CEST), Richard
Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> said:

richard> In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:48:49 -0400, Ethan
Blanton <address@hidden> said:
richard>
richard> eblanton> Second, with both the usher from 0.26-pre3 and the
richard> eblanton> usher from 0.26 as released, I am having trouble
richard> eblanton> serving some databases which worked in 0.26-pre2.
richard> eblanton> I am serving three databases from three 'local'
richard> eblanton> stanzas (net.elitists.elb.configs.*,
richard> eblanton> edu.purdue.cs.gsb.guide.*, and
richard> eblanton> net.elitists.ical.*), and when I try to connect to
richard> eblanton> net.elitists.elb.configs.fvwm, usher spawns a
richard> eblanton> server for net.elitists.ical.* and connects my pull
richard> eblanton> to that server -- needless to say, this doesn't
richard> eblanton> work.  A copy of my usher server file is likewise
richard> eblanton> attached.
richard>
richard> Aha, yeah, the trouble is that usher was originally built to
richard> handle the distinction between different sub-servers by
richard> hostname only, and you use the same hostname for all of them.
richard> I did make a change so it would accept several stanzas with
richard> the same hostname, but it seems I didn't look closely enough
richard> at the the rest of the code, so you're currently stuck with
richard> having to separate the sub-servers at a hostname level.
richard>
richard> I have the same goal as you, to have sub-servers
richard> differentiated by branch patterns as well as hostnames, so
richard> I'll take a closer look in a few days and see what can be
richard> done with it.

I've been experimenting and thinking, and figured that I hadn't
entirely understood how usher was meant to work.  Basically, what I
said is still how it is, for entries that have a hostname, they will
be selected by hostname only.  However, IF there is no entry with a
matching hostname, usher will also check for a matching pattern.  And
this is actually the way it should be, usher is primarly built to
provide so called virtual hosting, and only uses "virtual patterns" as
a fallback.

I've made a few changes in usher.cc, so it will tell you a bit better
what happens, and I think that will be the extent of what I do with
it.

BTW, the fix I provided earlier wasn't at all about being able to have
several entries with the same hostname, it was about avoiding
segfaults when usher removed hosts or patterns from earlier entries
when a new one with the same hostname of pattern was loaded.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/