[Monotone-devel] Getting tags in one branch

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Getting tags in one branch
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:43:29 -0300

Hi.

I was working yesterday when I noticed something interesting: I have
several branches in one big database. I use one branch for each project
I start (that includes papers, software and other things -- they are
pretty much unrelated). Anyway -- recently I started to use tags for
some revisions, and I just found that tags are not specific to a branch.

$ mtn list tags
bdata_delta_are_ok f36a07e8f23eeaeb8e11024b1aa3a78f0fbf513b my_key
before_bdata_interfaces 60d5b0800b07d2a1aa7708043487d64f0d37d6a6 my_key
v1.completa 46fb3c8c69829b1e400fee4989d658685a1ea028 my_key

I did that from within a working copy of branch-1, but got all the tags
from the database (two from branch-1, and one from other branch).

I have just a few tags, so this is not a problem... But what if I had
400 of them? Wouldn't it be better if I only got the tags from one
branch? (And by default, the branch I'm working on, if the current
directory is a working copy?)

This can be probably be solved by using the branch name in the tag, so
I could use "mtn list tags | grep branch", but well, it seems that it
would require more work for the most frequent usage (getting all tags
in a branch) than for the les frequent (getting all tags in the database).

Thanks,
J.