Re: [Monotone-devel] Getting tags in one branch

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Getting tags in one branch
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:00:27 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:43:29 -0300, Jeronimo
Pellegrini <address@hidden> said:

pellegrini> I was working yesterday when I noticed something
pellegrini> interesting: I have several branches in one big database.
pellegrini> I use one branch for each project I start (that includes
pellegrini> papers, software and other things -- they are pretty much
pellegrini> unrelated). Anyway -- recently I started to use tags for
pellegrini> some revisions, and I just found that tags are not
pellegrini> specific to a branch.

That's only half true.  Tags have no branch information in themselves,
but since they are attached to revision, which usually do have at
least one branch cert attached to it, there is a relation between the
tags and the branches.

pellegrini> I have just a few tags, so this is not a problem... But
pellegrini> what if I had 400 of them? Wouldn't it be better if I only
pellegrini> got the tags from one branch? (And by default, the branch
pellegrini> I'm working on, if the current directory is a working
pellegrini> copy?)

I disagree.  I, for one, do want to be able to see all tags even if
I'm not in the "appropriate branch".  If I'm looking for a specific
tag, I do not want to have to guess which branch it is in first (just
thing 400 branches and you'll get it :-)).

pellegrini> This can be probably be solved by using the branch name in
pellegrini> the tag, so I could use "mtn list tags | grep branch", but

If we go that way, why limit it to branches?  Why not also display
authors, dates, ...?  Maybe the list commands should be able to take a
few options to get extra information, like --branches, --authors,
--dates and so on?
Consider this food for though.

pellegrini> well, it seems that it would require more work for the
pellegrini> most frequent usage (getting all tags in a branch) than
pellegrini> for the les frequent (getting all tags in the database).

It might be less frequent, but it becomes much more difficult with a
restricted "list tags"...

Cheers,
Richard

-----