Re: [Monotone-devel] Packet I/O howto

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packet I/O howto
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:14:52 -0700

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:32:03AM -0300, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:46:53PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > Thanks!  Would you be interested in adapting this to go in the manual?
>
> I hope it's OK to attach it here. I didn't know what section of the
> manual it should go into, so I just formatted it as texinfo. I don't
> know what to do about very long lines in texinfo documents (inside the
> examples).

I just stuck it into the manual under "Advanced topics".  Not
necessarily the best place, but works well enough for now.
Thanks :-).

Random musings: In the long run, it would be nice to have many more
little mini-tutorials like this -- I envision a whole section of the
manual, each piece of which is a short, chatty tutorial focused on a
particular real use case.  Probably titling each piece with a
question.

(There are people who rant about how "FAQ"s so often contain a bunch
of general information, instead of actual frequently asked questions
intended to reduce noise on the mailing list/newsgroup.  Better to ask
why FAQs have such a strong pressure in this direction... whenever I
open documentation, it's because I have some questions in mind, and
usually they're pretty predictable.  Besides that, it's just easier
and more fun to read docs that are more conversational.  (Not talking
about reference docs, here.))

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen