[Monotone-devel] status of monotone "dumb"

From: rghetta
Subject: [Monotone-devel] status of monotone "dumb"
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:55:35 +0200

Perhaps someone will be interested in knowing where is monotone dumb:

- works with monotone 0.26
- has proxy support for http(s) and ftp
- sftp now works both with password-base authentication and public keys
- has a command line interface: see plain.py

As before, via http(s) and ftp you can only pull, push and sync need sftp or local file.

I'm using it with a project on sourceforge, with the goal to switch all development to monotone, making sf.net cvs/svn a second-class citizen. Now is more or less the other way, i.e. I use mtn for my personal work, but all commits go to cvs first and I'm restricted to cvs (lack of) features.
I'm pushing changes with sftp and pulling with http.
Everything works correctly, but:

- this is a small project
- has linear history
- only one active branch (plus 3 closed)

I don't know how this scales in a more active environment, like monotone itself. Most likely problems would arise if the new revision packets come out of order, because monotone no longer reorders them internally. You must feed packets in the correct order and pull is not guaranteed to do that.

Ciao,
Riccardo