Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:29:44 +0200

I'll avoid quoting your whole mail, since I'm not replying to anything specific. I see your point about the safety. Safety is good, and I like it. But:

- The load of checking the validity of the database being shifted to new users doing pulls seems to be the wrong place to do it. Couldn't we instead throw warnings at people on start "Your database hasn't been checked for X days! Run 'db check'!"?

- Doing the detection on the user side, we're detecting two classes of problems: first, semantic problems in the DB on the remote side and second, transmission problems (at whichever layer) between remote and user.

- The semantic problems aren't under the user's control - if you're lucky, he writes a mail about them. But you're relying on something that seems like a pretty poor communication path to discover your problems with old data.

- The transmission problems seem like they should be detectable with some simple SHAing.

All that said, monotone's been fast enough for my local use. I'm guessing having partial pull would be enough to make most users happy, even with the checking.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.