[Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:28:24 +0000 (UTC)

Timothy Brownawell <tbrownaw <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Netsync (initial pull, counting both server and client) appears to be:
>    13% libz (56% compression + 22% decompression + housekeeping)
>    11% Botan::SHA_160::hash
>    6% compute_delta_insns (strangely, this is 99% from compute_delta...

I wonder how's that possible... I mean:
- my PC takes 8 seconds to compress 45Mb (my net.venge.monotone[.cvssync]
repository) using gzip -9
- it takes 1 second to hash them
even given the high overhead of initializing the compressor and the hash many
hundreds of time, how come a full net.venge.monotone pull takes several minutes
and those 10 seconds should be the 24% of it?

...I guess I should probably read more carfully the links about oprofile given
before in the thread. ^_^