Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:24:29 +0200

Christof Petig schrieb:
> But I propose and _second_ an "initial clone" command which works
> exactly like a networked "mtn db dump | mtn db load": It should require
> a new database to get created in the process and should never works on
> an existing one.

I would even code it (sounds like about 10 hours of work, I intimately
know the database layout) if Nathaniel could propose a _protocol_
representation/extension.

My current idea is to simply send the raw data of the tables
(unordered?), but I don't know how command spanning (they need to live
longer than one packet-exchange) cursors fit into the server process and
how 'oversized' content should get transferred. Remember that the data
is already delta encoded and compressed.

But perhaps implementing partial pull is a much more interesting
solution to this problem (though it will be way more complicated).

   Christof