Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:20:08 -0400

Markus Schiltknecht spake unto us the following wisdom:
> thank you for your answer.
>
> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 15:49 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > Except if the sending end has bogus data (as happened with the
> > venge.net server).
>
> Even in that case, netsync (tcp, really) guarantees to correctly deliver
> the bogus data ;-)

If you're talking about the MAC on the stream, then yes, you are
correct.  However, the verification being discussed here is not the
MAC on the stream (which should remain; TCP's guarantee is *not* very
strong at all), but the verification of revisions as they are
committed.  This means ensuring that the manifest for the revision
really does have the correct hashes for each of the items in the
revision, the signature on the manifest is good, etc.etc.

I think we're talking about two different things here, in several
points along this thread.  :-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.