Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:10:23 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:54:01 +0000 (UTC), Lapo
Luchini <address@hidden> said:

lapo> Usually the higher the level you compress at, the better
lapo> compression you get, since there is more repetitions to be found
lapo> (e.g. in the "headers" of the lower-level packets, data repeated
lapo> in different packets...) and dictionary is resetted less often
lapo> and so on.

I agree, but there's a trade-off between compression level and speed,
and it should be up to each user to define what level xe wants to use,
which may differ depending on circumstances (I usually don't compress
when I use broadband, but if I happen to find myself behind a 33k
modem, I'll want full compression).

lapo> IMHO the data stream should contain uncompressed data and be
lapo> compressed at the stream level.

Exactly.

lapo> BTW: what about bzip2?

Does it come with a nice API similar to zlib?

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis