[Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:54:01 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <richard <at> levitte.org> writes:

> On the plus side, this also means that we could leave it to the user
> to decide if and how strong compression xe wants.  This means, of
> course, the the peers in a netsync communication will have to do a bit
> of negitiation at the beginning, but the cost for that should be very
> small.
>
> Another plus side, should the .ssh branch ever start being used, is
> that we can leave it up to the ssh protocol to do the compression part
> for us.

Usually the higher the level you compress at, the better compression you get,
since there is more repetitions to be found (e.g. in the "headers" of the
lower-level packets, data repeated in different packets...) and dictionary is
resetted less often and so on.

IMHO the data stream should contain uncompressed data and be compressed at the
stream level.

BTW: what about bzip2?

    Lapo