[Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:58:14 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
lapo> IMHO the data stream should contain uncompressed data and be
lapo> compressed at the stream level.

Exactly.

I agree that you'll probably win by doing full stream compression. I'll offer a couple points in my defense to explain why I did it this way.

- A reasonable chunk of the protocol stream contains incompressible material: high-entropy cryptographic stuff or merkle trie nodes.

- Mixing a streaming interface with pipelined and multiplexed i/o might not be quite as easy as you like. In particular: you might find that you have to add some logic for flushing gzip's state down at the bottom of the probe loop if the sending side has gone dead (and this might possibly introduce bubbles into the pipeline).

Those points aside, I certainly wouldn't *stop* anyone from trying it. I just didn't want to deal with such issues when I first wrote it, so I didn't bother.

lapo> BTW: what about bzip2?

Does it come with a nice API similar to zlib?

You don't want to use bzip2 for this. It'll chew too much CPU and intermediate storage to make it worth any compression gain.

-graydon