Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:18:49 -0500

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 22:21 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> I was just doing a quick estimate, and I think it's likely that the
> SHA1 and RSA cost for checking everything in the current venge.net
> repository is a minute or two rather than an hour or two.
>
> If monotone were to give up verification, then it would have to be
> because that would avoid some other aspects of work: reconstructing
> files, reversing deltas, or whatever.

Netsync (initial pull, counting both server and client) appears to be:
   13% libz (56% compression + 22% decompression + housekeeping)
   11% Botan::SHA_160::hash
   6% compute_delta_insns (strangely, this is 99% from compute_delta...
which gets .09% of total)
   5% _int_malloc
   5% memcpy

(oprofile, callgraph depth 10, and I'm not entirely certain I'm reading
everything right. In particular, commands::process, cpp_main, and the
like all get 0. Or maybe everything just happens more than 10 calls down
from these?)

Tim