Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: interesting conversation on policy versioning

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: interesting conversation on policy versioning
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:07:53 -0700

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:31:38PM +0200, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > For people who don't follow IRC closely, some nice discussion tonight
> > about the Last Big Feature:
> >
> > http://colabti.de/irclogger//irclogger_log/monotone?date=2006-04-18,Tue&sel=119#l194
> >   http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/VersionedPolicy
>
> I read both, but I am obviously missing some background.
> To be succinct, I don't understand this at all.
>
> So what are policies?
> Because in a vague way it sounds interesting.

Policies in this context means things like, "Bob can commit to branch
foo but not branch bar", or in general even more complicated things
like "At least 2 of Jan, Sarah, and Alan must sign off on changes to
branch baz".  Or, "this key has been revoked, and replaced with this
other one".  Anything relating to trust and naming, basically.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."