Re: [Monotone-devel] About tagging via crontab

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] About tagging via crontab
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:37:22 -0700

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:38:19PM -0500, Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a daily tag for my repository in monotone.  The
> cron job is listed below.
>
> (cd /tmp/monotone_repo/; mtn tag `cat _MTN/revision` $TAG_DATE)
>
> However, this command execution results in the following message.
>
> mtn: misuse: monotone tag doesn't use the option --execute

So monotone thinks that it is being passed the option "--execute",
also known as "-e".

> TAG_DATE is set to D`date +%F | sed -e "s/-/_/g"` via the bash export
                                      ^^ I bet this is the culprit.

It looks like somewhere your quoting is going wrong, and you're not
actually passing the date to monotone.

Passing --debug to mtn will cause it to dump out the full command line
it is being passed, which may help you figure out what exactly is
happening.

Also note that you don't actually need a checked out tree to do this
sort of tagging; you could simply do
   mtn -d myrepo.mtn tag h:mybranch $TAG_DATE

Also note that you may or may not actually need daily tags with
monotone, since every commit is effectively tagged by its revision id,
and every commit also contains the date it was committed.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music