Re: [Monotone-devel] SCCS interface Support

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] SCCS interface Support
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:45:47 +0200

J Decker schrieb:
there's a 'standard' that was developed to interface, generically, version control systems and development environemnts for instance Visual Slick Edit, Visual Studio... SCCS Support would be a nice addition to see for Monotone.

I second the request for a "general" interface to other VC systems, and I know that PVCS, ClearCase and some other still use the SCCS format internally (obviously I have to admit I never saw that), still, I doubt if it would be a good idea to go another time down the road with a proprietary format (like for the CVS importer). Everytime I hear anything about the guy who implemented that I hear "RCS is evil!".

During my research for my thesis I stumbled across an open XML dialect introduced by Perforce in 1999 called "RevML" - maybe this could deserve a closer look? Since it comes from Perforce they might have built-in support, and since its an open standard, maybe other VCS could be encouraged to provide interfaces to their systems using this dialect as well?

Thomas.

[0] http://public.perforce.com/public/revml/index.html