Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Poll] Intermediate Results

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Poll] Intermediate Results
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:24:32 +0200

I asked a guy I know in the domain-name business, he suggested that there is usually some not-totally-trivial monetary value attached to the trickling bits of search revenue they get from those pages, and in any case we'd have to email the owner to ask for a bidding price. Surprisnig to me.

Yeah, such a process could take long and could become very expensive...

Anyways, I wonder how much everyone here really feels it's an important thing to do overall. Is venge.net/monotone (or say, mtn.venge.net) unacceptable?

I thought having a real domain for monotone itself would be nice for

a) general project recognition
b) subdomain handling (e.g. bugs.somedomain.tld)

I'm not sure how well a .ca tld would serve the second purpose, since this is a country, rather than a general top level domain, so I'd be more happy if the people around here would find any good .net or even better .org address, but as far as I can tell most people jumped on the monotone.ca train. (Sure there are a lot people from Canada involved, but you never know how long this keeps a good reason.)

Btw... if monotone.ca wins, how much does that cost per year (in Euro / US-$)? Couldn't find pricing info on cira.ca.

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de