Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:03:19 -0700

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 01:14:11PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Haggerty wrote:
> >Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> >>With such an algorithm, you won't rely on the timestamps, but only on
> >>the dependencies. Thus, what other advantages would the blob method have?
> >
> >Step 2 is essentially the creation of a blob, isn't it?
>
> Sure. Except that you won't have inter-blob dependencies to resolve.
>
> >And steps 2 and 3 could be an infinite loop, because of
> >
> >   1   2
> >   |   |
> >   A   B
> >   |   |
> >   B   A
>
> True, but you could easily check for that. Just remember what you've
> already tried and don't try again. To me the question is: what to do
> then? Split A into two commits around B:
>
> A1 - B - A2 - C
>
> Or (for monotone or git): try to seperate into individual commits (not
> always possible) and create two heads, which then merge later on. I.e.:
>
>     .- A --.
>    /        \
> --x          x-- C
>    \        /
>     '- B --'

You can't do this, unless you want to do some sort of inexact inverse
patching -- you would need to know what file-1 looks like with only A,
and what file-1 looks like with only B, but you don't.

You could fork into one A/B revision and one B/A revision, but that
doesn't seem helpful.

> Or even merge A and B into one single revision (since you can't
> determine exactly what belongs to A and what to B), thus:
>
> AB - C

Door A seems somewhat better than this, at least you get to preserve
all commit messages.

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling