Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:15:09 +0200

Hi,

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
    .- A --.
   /        \
--x          x-- C
   \        /
    '- B --'

You can't do this, unless you want to do some sort of inexact inverse
patching -- you would need to know what file-1 looks like with only A,
and what file-1 looks like with only B, but you don't.

That's were I've been heading to. I don't know if it's doable. But the reasoning behind was something like: if CVS is able to commit to A and B twice, no matter in which order, those changes probably didn't conflict. Thus we could extract them and apply separately.

Would a star merge with the previous commit and A and B tell us more? Or a reverse look at it with 'ancestor' C and A and B?

But that looks like micro optimization anyway.

You could fork into one A/B revision and one B/A revision, but that
doesn't seem helpful.

Or even merge A and B into one single revision (since you can't determine exactly what belongs to A and what to B), thus:

AB - C

Door A seems somewhat better than this, at least you get to preserve
all commit messages.

Hm.. you're right. The changelog could be put together, but we can't simply concatenate the authors...

Regards

Markus