Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: non utf-8 filenames

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: non utf-8 filenames
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:33:28 -0700

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

I'm all for that very self-critical point of view. But I've seen the 'this most probably is a bug in monotone' message ways too often in cases where monotone wasn't to blame at all. I know it's hard to always provide good error messages... but one should always try :-)

Yeah. Initially I only had I(...) invariants. I assumed users would not mind blunt error messages like "invariant violated", and could figure out whose fault something was by themselves. Then later someone added E(...) for cases when we think it's the user's fault, and changed the error message for I(...) to be more self-blaming. But that left alone all the existing (dozens? hundreds?) of uses of I(...) in the source code, which aren't necessarily our fault, might just be bad input.

It's usually a one-character patch to fix such cases when you find them: I(...) -> E(...).

-graydon