Re: [Monotone-devel] Status on multiple --message commit patch?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status on multiple --message commit patch?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:06:38 -0700

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:51:20PM -0700, Evan Deaubl wrote:
> Well, this patch isn't going too swimmingly, now is it? :-/  I promise
> the next one will go more smoothly (not that hard to do :-) ).

Eh, don't worry -- that's the whole point of the QuickieTasks, to work
out all these annoying mistakes without having a big complex patch to
deal with at the same time...

> I could have sworn when I looked at the commit messages that were
> produced using the old -m, they had a newline attached, but I guess I
> was mistaken.  It would not be hard to either strip that last newline
> after the join_lines() to restore previous functionality, or change the
> existing or add a new join implementation that doesn't append the join
> separator to the end of the result (in agreement that join_lines() is a
> little misleading).  If the newline has got to go, I'm willing to clean
> up the mess either way. :-)

I guess I have some slight preference for keeping the newline,
because, well, while there isn't actually any _standard_ for text
files[1], in practice a "well formed" text file always ends with a
newline.

All the tests look fixable directly, though some will need to use
--message-file to prevent the newline from being added, to maintain
byte-identical output with earlier versions (the migrate and rosterify
tests).

-- Nathaniel

[1] Or maybe there is, I'm sure I'll get a ton of emails correcting me
if so :-).

--
"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink